Academic advising at SGSC supports the teaching and learning mission of the college by helping students understand the value of achieving their educational goals.
The process of advisement begins with your admission, where you receive and Advisement Sheet listing your major and any Learning Support or Required High School Curriculum course needs. You go over this sheet with your adviser, who provides you a schedule for your first semester.
Frequently Requested Forms:
- Change of Pathway
- Directed Independent Study Request Form
- Hold Checklist
- Incomplete Grade Contract
- Learning Support Waiver
- Registration/Schedule Change Form
Access additional Registrar forms here.
Faculty and Staff Forms
When, early in the first semester, you prepare for advisement for the second semester, you must make sure that you are familiar with the following documents:
- Your Program of Study
- The Program Map for your Program of Study. This document provides you a sample list of courses for each semester of a two-year sequence of courses that will get you to your degree destination. If you follow the map, you will get your degree in two years. Each program map is listed in the paragraph that introduces your Program of Study. (See here for example)
- Your transcript of courses previously taken. You can retrieve this information from Banner Web.
- Make sure you fill out the Faculty Advisement Check-Off Form before you see your adviser, so that you will have all items in place for your advisement session.
You will receive help in designing your second semester schedule before you even see your adviser for Advance-Registration. Your SGSC 1000 class (required of all first-time, full-time students in their first semester) will provide you the help you need to understand this path to proper advisement.
* Students, your Academic Advisor is noted in Banner
Amberlynn Smith – Student Success Advisor
Office: Powell Hall 108
Office: Dye Building 136B