SGSC Offers Academic Support For Veterans And Service Members Through New Designation
By: Walda Kight
Vice President of External Affairs
South Georgia State College (SGSC) would like to announce its designation as an educational institution that has agreed to the “Principles of Excellence” through the U.S. Department of Education and U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs as well as the "8 Keys to Veterans' Success,” created by executive order from the Obama Administration earlier this spring.
The “Principles of Excellence” were created to help ensure military and veterans have information, support, and protections while using federal education benefits. These guidelines promote transparency and student success for students using the GI Bill.
The "8 Keys to Veterans' Success" are steps that postsecondary institutions can take to assist veterans and service members in transitioning to higher education, completing their college programs, and obtaining career-ready skills. The “8 Keys to Success” include the following:
1. Create a culture of trust and connectedness across the campus community to promote well-being and success for veterans.
2. Ensure consistent and sustained support from campus leadership.
3. Implement an early alert system to ensure all veterans receive academic, career, and financial advice before challenges become overwhelming.
4. Coordinate and centralize campus efforts for all veterans, together with the creation of a designated space (even if limited in size).
5. Collaborate with local communities and organizations, including government agencies, to align and coordinate various services for veterans.
6. Use a uniform set of data tools to collect and track information on veterans, including demographics, retention and degree completion.
7. Provide comprehensive professional development for faculty and staff on issues and challenges unique to veterans.
8. Develop systems that ensure sustainability of effective practices for veterans.
SGSC President Dr. Virginia Carson comments, “Our institution salutes the men and women who have served, or are currently serving, in the military. SGSC is an open access institution and welcomes any active military, veteran, or their family members to take advantage of the quality academic programs and student support services we provide as they seek to obtain a college degree.”
For more information on admissions or military and veterans offerings at SGSC, please contact Student Services Professional/VA Certifying Official Angie Evans by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 912-260-4409. Evans’s office is located inside Engram Hall on the Douglas Campus.